Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Gwen Stefani Concert Recap - with pictures*

My sister and I went to the Gwen Stefani concert at Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim on Monday night. Yay! I'll try to remember the song order the best I can.


*Except not with pictures. The girl at the 1-hour photo lab opened the machine when the film was still inside. Most of the pictures were ruined. Someone get me a digital camera for Christmas, please?


The opening act was M.I.A. Good, but not really my thing.


Gwen stared a little bit after 9:00pm. The first song was "Harajuku Girls." The white curtain went up to show the band in place and the words Harajuku Lovers flashing on the stage. Gwen's Harajuku Girl posse came out. Gwen rised out of the stage on a throne, much like the cover of her cd. She was wearing a off-white ruffle-y costume like the costumes from the "What You Waiting For?" video.

The next song was "What You Waiting For?" I love that song and it sound great live and the whole audience boppin' along with Gwen. When the song was over she sunk back down thru the stage trap door.

The big screen behind the stage showed scenes of Gwen frolicking on the beach. She then came up from the stage wearing a red old fashioned/1950s style bathing suit and sang "The Real Thing." My sister said she saw Gwen trip, but I didn't notice anything. :)

This is were I start to get confused about the song order. I think "Crash" was next. She was wearing a black and white jumpsuit and a bandana on her head.
Gwen: When I say "back it up, back it up" you say "you got it, you got it"

and

Gwen: Hello Anaheim!
Audience: *SCREAM*
Gwen: I don't think you understand the situation. I'm from fucking Anaheim!
Audience: *SCRRRRRREEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMM*

Next I believe was "Luxurious." She took off the jumpsuit jacket and had a black tank top underneath.
Gwen: Here's a weird song. It was one of the last songs I wrote with Tony[Kanal of No Doubt]. When I told him I wanted to do a dance album he told me to go out and do it. I never was supposed to tour with it, but you guys kept buying the album and kept pulling me out here.

Next was "Danger Zone." She jumped around all over the stage during the song.

After that was "Long Way to Go." Gwen and the dancers sat on the stage because it is a Serious Song. She left the stage and the bass player sang a solo.

I think she sang "Cool" next. She came up from the stage wearing a sexy spaghetti strap sparkly silver dress.
Gwen: I know we're-
Audience: Cool!

Next was a song that was not on the cd. The dancers were dressd up like toys and Gwen had a red jacket, like what a ringmaster wears and black shorts. The big screen behind the stage showed circus scenes.

After was "Rich Girls." She change in to a blue pirate coat. The jolly roger waved on the big screen. Eve's part of the song was skipped.

Or was "Cool" here?

Next was "Serious." The dancers were dressed as nurses and doctors and pulled Gwen out on a stretcher. She wore a black and white striped shirt and black shorts. She mimed "hot" and "fever" a lot.
Gwen: This is a stupid song, but spell it out anyway. S-E-R-I-O-U-S

Next was another song not on the cd. It went something like "I'm an Orange County girl in an extra ordinary world." Pictures of Gwen as a kid and Anaheim landmarks (Disneyland!) flashed on the big screen.

Gwen introduced the band and dancers.

The last song was "Bubble Pop Electric." There were bubbles

Gwen, the band and the dancers took a bow and the curtain came down.

A minute later a marching band came down the aisles. The curtain opened again. Gwen was wearing a drum major's uniform. She sang "Hollaback Girl" for the encore. She asked for "all her girls to come down." We all did, of course. She hugged a few of the fans that made it to the stage, waved and left.

An empty stage :(

My sister and I hung around the stage and took pictures of ourselves (one survived). One on the dancers came out and was taking pictures with fans. I'll assume it was Music because she had a big "M" on her cheerleader costume. She asked the fans to wait a moment and ran off to hug a guy that I'll assume was her boyfriend. I had to step out of her way so she could go back to take pictures with the fans. I was that close to a Harajuku Girl!


ETA: I did get a digital camera for Christmas! Also, a couple of days after the concert is was announced that Gwen was pregnant. So, Gwen was pregnant at the time of this concert. As a crazed fan, this makes me feel special :)

No comments: