Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Quotations

Since the age of 13 I've kept a small quote notebook. I write quotes from books or movies that I liked. The notebook is finally filled; 52 pages of quotey goodness! I thought I would share some of my favorites. Most are funny, because I love a good one-liner.

Warning: Since this was a private notebook so the proper rules of quotations and citations were ignored. There are misquotes galore!


You'll feel faintly embarressed about you decision to release the beast within when you see how fuzzy and cute it is. - Tim Moore, Frost On My Mustache

Every hospital in Heaven will be filled with broken stars for at least six months, and you don't know what misery is until you try to bandage a broken star! - Barry Hughart, Bridge of Birds : A Novel of an Ancient China That Never Was

The naturally religious were unstable and given to wandering in the desert and having revelations - Terry Prachett, Pyramids

Stealing is not excusable, for instance, you are in a museum and you decide that a certain painting would look better in your house, and simply grab the painting and take it there. But if you were very hungry, and you had no way of obtaining money, it might be excusable to grab the painting, take it to your house and eat it. - Lemony Snicket, The Wide Window

The moral of The Three Bears is "never break into someone else's house." The moral of Snow White is "never eat apples." The moral of World War I is "never assassinate Archduke Ferdinand." - Lemony Snicket, The Wide Window

Don't you know that a man being rich is like a girl being pretty? You wouldn't marry a girl just beacause she's pretty, but my goodness doesn't it help? - Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Do you pop out at parties? Are you unpoopular? - I Love Lucy

You might be poor, your shoes might be broken, but your mind is a palace - Frank McCourt, Angela's Ashes

That thing down there sometimes rises up. Well, that's because it's an instrument of Satan and we all know how often the Bible tells us Satan's intruments of Evil will rise up and smite the good? - a fanfic I read about a teenaged Bertie Wooster

Only sticks and stones can break my bones and I have my Swiss Army kife if they hit me - Mark Haddon, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

A work of art based on the butts of three shaved cats - James Lileks, Based on this painting


More of my favorite quotes here

And that's the end of my quote book. I'm working on a new one.

No comments: